NORTHWEST CHORAL SOCIETY
January 12, 2016
CALL TO ORDER:
The January 2016 Board Meeting of the Northwest Choral Society was held at St. Martin’s Episcopal Church, 1095 Dempster/Thacker, Des Plaines, IL. The meeting was called to order at 6:40 PM by NWCS President Penny Perles. The following board members were present:
Meredith Bechtel Mary Jane Matecki
Angela Carlson Penny Perles
Kelsey Green John Schindler
David Hitch Diane Szuberla
Noreen LaValle Ruta Veitmanis
Also present: Alan Wellman, Artistic Director.
The meeting minutes of the November 10, 2015 board meeting were reviewed. No corrections were needed. Mary Jane Matecki made a motion to accept the minutes. The motion was seconded by David Hitch. The motion passed.
- Noreen LaValle presented the treasurer’s report for November 2015. Cash disbursements totaled $3,832.88. Cash receipts totaled $10,750.00. Our regular account balance now was $16,808.08. Including petty cash, our final total was $16,843.08. Kelsey Green made a motion to accept the treasurer’s report. The motion was seconded by Mary Jane. The motion passed.
- Noreen LaValle also presented the treasurer’s report for December 2015. Cash disbursements totaled $6,778.50. Cash receipts totaled $7,518.46. Our regular account balance now was $17,583.04. Including petty cash, our final total was $17,618.04. One correction was needed: under cash disbursements, check #1939 was paid to Faith Lutheran Church (not Grace Lutheran Church). Mary Jane made a motion to accept the corrected treasurer’s report. The motion was seconded by Diane Szuberla. The motion passed.
- Penny also presented the Costs of CD Production at this time. (Full report is attached at the end of the minutes.)
° The total cost was $5,987.16. NWCS and Chicago Gargoyle Brass (CGB) agreed to share the cost of everything that involved recording songs where both groups participated. The cost of songs recorded by just one group would be covered by that group. NWCS’s share was $3,030.85 and CGB’s share $2,956.31. NWCS paid the initial bills. CGB still owes us $1,217.48 of their share.
° We had 550 CDs made (275 for each, NWCS and CGB). This makes the cost per CD $10.89. We are selling them for $15.00. We do not need to pay the tax on them.
° Alan Wellman has declined a salary for his work on this CD. Penny proposed we pay Lori Mackie $500.00 for her work on the CD. By voice vote, board members agreed to this proposal. Both Alan and Lori will receive several free CDs.
° Harper College printing department designed the cover for the CD free of charge. We only had to pay for the printing. Penny gave a $70 honorarium to the young woman who did the designing. Board members supported her decision.
° The CD is on our website for digital download under the heading SHOP.
- Four board members wrote thank you notes to chorus members for their contributions to our Annual Members’ Support Fund.
- Chorus member Jamie Thompson will send thank you letters to all our other donors.
- Alan has ordered 55 copies of the music for the Windy City Choral Festival. A t-shirt is also available for purchase.
- He will also contract musicians for our April concert. We will be accompanied by organ and a small chamber orchestra.
- Diane presented the December 2015 concert results.
° 210 people attended with estimated breakdown of 89 adults and 121 students/seniors.
° Ticket sales yielded $5,114.84. 41 chorus members sold 149 tickets. 47 tickets were sold at the door.
° 8 tickets won by WFMT listeners were used.
° $170.00 was received from the donation envelopes in the program book.
- We also received $27.50 as a matching donation from Pfizer.
Kelsey announced that the ad campaign for this year has ended successfully.
David has an appointment with a representative of the Glenview State Bank. We hope to persuade them to become a corporate donor.
Mary Jane stated that we have had several inquiries about our chorus. We hope to see some of these people at a future rehearsal.
We received a thank you note from Rita Szopinski for the flowers sent her upon the death of her mother.
We are starting to look for ideas for the poster for the April concert.
50th ANNIVERSARY COMMITTEE:
- The Chicago skyline won the vote for the graphic on our commemorative tote bag. Still undecided is whether the bag should be vertical (best for carrying music) or horizontal, should it have a zipper and could it have two colors – black and red.
- More ideas for the silent auction/raffle were discussed.
- The committee will meet next week.
We have again signed up the Saints as ushers for the April concert. Although they cannot guarantee the ushers, our concert will appear in their events calendar (perhaps more publicity?).
- Kelsey volunteered that her father may be able to help by photographing our chorus.
- Penny and David listened to Chorus America’s webinar on how to apply for grant money. The main point emphasized was that grant money is not for the routine expenses of the group. Grant money is for special needs/programs that could not be financed with the group’s income alone. For example: inviting a renowned guest conductor or soloist or another choral group or orchestra or planning a special program/event. This means planning ahead and setting 3 and 5 year goals.
Our next Board Meeting will be Tuesday, February 9th, 6:30 PM, before rehearsal at St. Martin’s. Since this is Shrove Tuesday, we will meet downstairs and start rehearsal there also.
The Board Meeting was adjourned at 7:30 PM by a motion from Noreen and a second from Diane. The motion passed.
Northwest Choral Society