NORTHWEST CHORAL SOCIETY
May 12, 2015
CALL TO ORDER:
The May 2015 Board Meeting of the Northwest Choral Society was held at St. Martin’s Episcopal Church, 1095 Dempster/Thacker, Des Plaines, IL. The meeting was called to order at 6:40 PM by NWCS Board President Penny Perles. The following board members were present:
Meredith Bechtel Mary Jane Matecki
Robyn Waldman Borek Penny Perles
Greykell Dutton John Schindler
Kelsey Green Diane Szuberla
David Hitch Ruta Veitmanis
Artistic Director, Alan Wellman, was holding auditions during this time.
The meeting minutes of the April 21st board meeting were reviewed. No corrections were needed.
Noreen LaValle made a motion to accept the minutes. The motion was seconded by Mary Jane Matecki. The motion passed.
- Noreen presented the treasurer’s report for April. Cash disbursements totaled $3,676.59. Cash receipts totaled $5,546.22. Our regular account balance now was $10,343.07. Including petty cash, our final total was $10,378.07. Mary Jane made a motion to accept the treasurer’s report. The motion was seconded by Meredith Bechtel. The motion passed.
- Noreen also presented the Profit & Loss Budget vs. Actual July 2014 through April 2015 report. Our total income thus far is $35,902.61 which is $9,052.61 (133.7%) over budgeted amount. Our total expenses thus far are $31,861.80 which is $3,713.20 (89.6%) under budgeted amount. This now gives us a net income of $4,040.81.
- Penny also prepared a Statement of Financial Income and Expense July 2014 through April 2015 report. This will be presented to the membership at our Annual Meeting of the Whole.
Chorus members Dan Dorman, Barbara VanKeuren, Kathy Voss and Jane Peterson are not singing this June concert. Greykell Dutton will inform them about our rehearsal schedule for the CD recording in the fall.
An article about the June concert has been sent to the media and will also soon be on our website. Our website has been updated with concert information. Posters are ready for distribution by members and have already been sent to the school districts. Postcards were sent out Monday to our audience members and personally addressed postcards were sent to junior high school choral teachers.
Kelsey Green placed a concert poster on our page.
Mary Jane stated that we are still having problems with YouTube on our website.
Penny took flowers from us to Linda Eberlein’s father’s funeral.
50th ANNIVERSARY COMMITTEE:
- The committee is considering Friday evening, April 29th, 2016, at the Meridian Banquet Hall in Rolling Meadows for our anniversary dinner. It would be a pay your own meal dinner for both members and guests. We may provide a small thank you gift for members. Under consideration still is whether to also have a silent auction or raffle.
- We may invite former members to sing a few select pieces with us at the June 2016 concert.
2016 CONCERT TOUR:
Penny had already contacted Brenda of Group Travel Planners about a possible itinerary for a 2016 concert tour. Kelsey, however, suggested that we postpone the trip until 2017. We have several projects going on right now – the CD recording in the fall with rehearsals during the summer and the 50th anniversary event. Planning a trip at this time seems a little rushed. Several other board members agreed and so the concert tour will be tabled for the time being.
Alan Wellman has prepared a schedule of rehearsals and possible recording dates for the CD. The schedule has been emailed to chorus members. Alan and board members will meet with the Gargoyle Brass.
- Robyn Waldman Borek, Nominating Committee chairperson, reported that Kelsey, Noreen and John Schindler have agreed to be nominated for another two year term on the board. Angela Carlson has agreed to be nominated for a one year term on the board. This nomination for only one year is to balance the number of board members whose terms expire in a given year.
- Board committee chairpersons will prepare reports to present to the membership at the annual meeting May 19.
- Penny has talked to the Mt. Prospect Classical School of Ballet about dancers to participate in our June concert. The school has done dances to some Disney themes. She will talk to Alan about how to fit these into our program.
- Diane Szuberla looked at restaurants near Cutting Hall for our end of year dinner. Of four possible sites, the board chose Emmett’s Brewing Co., 110 N. Brockway, Palatine. There is a separate room for 40 people on the main floor. The restaurant is 5 blocks west of Cutting Hall with parking at the nearby Metra station. The dinner will be June 13th at 5:00 PM. Friends and family are invited.
- We will wear bright colored polo shirts for the Disney concert. Penny has contacted a local supplier.
- Our Meet & Greet will be May 26th at 6:30 PM. We will need some refreshments.
Our next Board Meeting will be Tuesday, June 23rd, 6:30 PM, before rehearsal at St. Martin’s.
The Board Meeting was adjourned at 7:24 PM by a motion from Noreen and a second from Penny. The motion passed.
Recording Secretary, Northwest Choral Society
After the meeting, Nominating Committee chairperson Robyn announced that Angela will be nominated for a two year term on the board and John will be nominated for the one year term.