NORTHWEST CHORAL SOCIETY
ANNUAL MEETING OF THE WHOLE
& ELECTION OF BOARD MEMBERS
May 21, 2016
CALL TO ORDER:
The Annual Meeting of the Whole and the Election of Board Members Meeting of the Northwest Choral Society was held at St. Martin’s Episcopal Church, 1095 Dempster/Thacker, Des Plaines, IL. The meeting was called to order at 12:24 PM by NWCS Board President Penny Perles.
OUR PRESIDENT’S ANNOUNCEMENTS:
- Penny thanked the 50th Anniversary Committee for organizing our successful Gala dinner. She also thanked everyone who had contributed items for the raffle and silent auction.
- Penny then thanked all the members present for contributing to today’s lunch, especially Jennifer Bauer for the sloppy joes.
REPORT FROM ARTISTIC DIRECTOR:
- Alan Wellman presented the dates and music selections for our 2016 -2017 concert season. Penny will send this information to members in an email.
- Alan then reflected on what an exciting season we just completed. It started with us recording our first CD, then our traditional concerts and ending with our participation in the Windy City Choral Festival and our 50th anniversary gala dinner. He is proud how we have progressed since he joined our group. We are continuing to grow and develop as singers.
COMMITTEE CHAIRPERSON REPORTS:
- Promotions committee chairperson Diane Szuberla presented the ticket sales and attendance report for our December 2015 and April 2016 concerts. She compared these results to the same concerts in the last four years. The complete report follows these minutes.
- Penny presented Treasurer Noreen LaValle’s report: Profit & Loss Budget vs. Actual July 1, 2015 through May 18, 2016 report. At present we are strong financially. So far our income has exceeded our budget by about $8,000.00. We have also only used up 87.4% of our budgeted expense amount. The complete report follows these minutes.
- Advertising committee chairperson Kelsey Green announced that we will begin our campaign for advertisers for our program books earlier this year. Many potential advertisers have stated that by the fall they have already allocated their money for advertising. Kelsey will have the forms ready for us at next Tuesday’s rehearsal. We can then approach advertisers during the summer. The forms are newly revised and very easy to follow for submitting ads. She also has letters for advertisers telling them about our chorus and how their money will be used. Please also take along previous program books. The deadline for submitting ads will be at the usual time in the fall. The ads need not be all from merchants. They can also be greetings and messages from private people.
- Penny thanked chorus members for their donations to our Annual Members’ Support Fund.
- Penny also introduced a new project: “Soothe the Soul – sing for individuals who need uplifting of the spirit to encourage well-being and healing”. We would visit nursing homes and community centers with meeting places for senior, disadvantaged children and individuals with disabilities. Our singing groups would be small with a set list of songs so that whoever is available could participate. A full description of the project follows.
ELECTION OF BOARD MEMBERS:
- Penny thanked four board members whose terms have expired and will not be presenting their names for reelection: Meredith Bechtel, RobynWaldman Borek, John Schindler and Ruta Veitmanis.
- Penny presented four present board members whose terms have expired, but have agreed to run again for the 2016 – 2018 term (2 year term): David Hitch, Mary Jane Matecki, Penny Perles and Diane Szuberla. New member Kristie Webb-Williams has also accepted the nomination to run for a two year term.
- Penny then opened nominations to the general membership, but no more names were forthcoming. Nominations were closed.
- Penny made a motion to accept the above list of five candidates – David, Mary Jane, Penny, Diane and Kristie – for board membership. David Lee supported the motion. Joan Behrens seconded the motion. The motion carried. By voice vote of “aye” from the members present, the above list of candidates was elected to the board of NWCS. There were no “nay” votes.
- Penny thanked Alan and Lori Lyn Mackie for their continued commitment, dedication and expertise with our group.
- Our end of year party will be Tuesday, June 7th, at Emmett’s Tavern & Brewing Co. in Palatine. Please sign up. After the dinner the Board members will have a short meeting to assign board positions.
- There are more posters and postcards available for distributing and sending.
- Diane has more concert tickets.
- The Friday rehearsal, June 3rd, will be at 7:00 PM at Southminster.
The meeting was adjourned at 12:50 PM by a motion from Mary Jane and a second from Sara Snyder. The motion passed.
Northwest Choral Society