NORTHWEST CHORAL SOCIETY
August 11, 2015
CALL TO ORDER:
The August 2015 Board Meeting of the Northwest Choral Society was held at St. Martin’s Episcopal Church, 1095 Dempster/Thacker, Des Plaines, IL. The meeting was called to order at 6:36 PM by NWCS Board President Penny Perles. The following board members were present:
Meredith Bechtel Noreen LaValle
Robyn Waldman Borek Mary Jane Matecki
Angela Carlson Penny Perles
Greykell Dutton John Schindler
Kelsey Green Diane Szuberla
David Hitch Ruta Veitmanis
Also present: Alan Wellman, Artistic Director, and Kate Swope and Rodney Holmes of the Gargoyle Brass.
The meeting minutes of the July 14th board meeting were reviewed. No corrections were needed.
Noreen LaValle made a motion to accept the minutes. The motion was seconded by Kelsey Green. The motion passed.
- Noreen LaValle presented the treasurer’s report for July. Cash disbursements totaled $2,772.86. Cash receipts totaled $225.00. Our regular account balance now was $5,939.48. Including petty cash, our final total was $5,974.48. Mary Jane Matecki made a motion to accept the treasurer’s report. The motion was seconded by David Hitch. The motion passed.
- Two changes were made to the proposed 2015-2016 budget:
◦ Expense item #8522 will be raised to $3,000.00, our share of the cost of producing the CD. The only concert that we will record this season will be our 50th anniversary concert and for this we will ask a chorus member to just record a video.
◦ Noreen will create a new expense item, 50th Anniversary, and add an expense of $500.00
◦ The total expenses in our proposed 2015-2016 budget will be $33,700.00. Our net income will now be a deficit of $2,050.00. Noreen made a motion to accept the proposed 2015-2016 budget. The motion was seconded by Kelsey. The motion passed.
- We owe Greykell Dutton $82.00 for the return of her concert black dress and jacket.
Alan Wellman introduced Kate Swope and Rodney Holmes of the Gargoyle Brass. Alan and Rodney have met several times this summer to discuss our mutual CD recording.
- The program list for the CD has not yet been decided. Since the Mechanical Licensing Fee is only paid when the master recording is sent for production, we can wait and see which songs sound the best.
- We may invite a few extra musicians, e.g. percussionists, to join us on the CD, but not necessarily at the December concert.
- Our Mechanical Licensing Fee will be about $1,100.00. Musical pieces 5 minutes or less will cost $0.091 per minute, per copy. Music over 5 minutes will cost $0.0175 per minute, per copy. Rodney recommended only burning 500 CDs initially (250 for each of us). We can always order more if needed. Thus, for example, our most expensive number, the 5 minute long Oh, Come, Oh, Come, Emmanuel will cost $227.50, but our longest piece, the 15 minute Christmas Cantata, will only cost $131.25.
- Our total production cost will be about $6,000.00 or $3,000 each.
- The possible title of the CD may be Christmas Garland.
- The NWCS will be responsible for the program notes for the CD and for the paperwork for the Mechanical Licensing Fee. Gargoyle Brass’ Kate and Rodney will be responsible for the production of the CD and the artwork for the cover.
- The actual cost of burning a CD is $1.30.
- We will sell the CDs for $15.00. We must collect a tax, but we can included this in the $15.00 price and then pay the tax ourselves.
- Gargoyle Brass is working on being able to sell digital versions of the CD from their website. Mary Jane stated that we are also looking into this for our website.
We are considering a concert tour with the Gargoyle Brass. It could be a day trip or something such as the Sing’n’Joy Princeton 2017 event.
Kelsey is preparing the packets to give to chorus members perhaps at the second rehearsal in September.
- Penny is interviewing two candidates for our graphic designer position.
- Season subscription postcards should be mailed by September 12th.
- The Christmas concert postcard should be sent to the printer by October 10th.
50th ANNIVERSARY COMMITTEE:
The committee will again meet August 25th.
- Auditions for new members and voice placement for the altos will take place on Tuesdays August 25th and September 1st.
- Robyn Waldman Borek will write the duties of the section leaders for our handbook.
Our next Board Meeting will be Tuesday, September 15th, 6:30 PM, before rehearsal at St. Martin’s.
The Board Meeting was adjourned at 7:33 PM by a motion from Noreen and a second from David. The motion passed.
Northwest Choral Society